There is no better way to begin any exploration of Budapest than with its food and drinks!
Our food, wine, and cultural walking and tasting tour begins at The Central Market Hall—Budapest’s cathedral of food—and continues through one of its most delicious and charming neighborhoods. Be sure to come with an appetite. You will need it on this tour!
The Central Market Hall, one of Europe’s largest and most spectacular indoor markets, is a natural place to begin getting acquainted with Hungarian food. Here you will get an introduction to the culture of Hungarian cuisine through the great variety and abundance of ingredients (which are mostly local and seasonal) on display. We will discuss the history of the building, the culture of eating and drinking in Hungary, and just what it is that Hungarian home cooks do with all of that pork fat, paprika, and goose liver.
From there, we will visit a few more places in the surrounding neighborhoods, which could include (depending on the day of the week): a spice shop, a kosher bakery, a coffee house, a candy manufacturer, or an artisan chocolate shop. We will visit a butcher shop where we will sample several traditional Hungarian dishes, and afterwards we will visit a traditional patisserie to sample some of the elegant cakes for which Hungarian bakers are known. By this time you’ll be ready for a glass (or three) of wine.
The finalé will be a wine tasting session in which we will taste three quintessential Hungarian wines and get an introduction to the Hungarian wine regions, varietals, and styles. This tour will give you a taste of the traditional side of Hungarian cuisine, as well as the modern artisan producers and specialty food shops which are spicing up Budapest’s food scene.
- Four-hour tour
- Begins at a central location in Pest (exact location details will be provided upon booking)
- This is a small group tour (which means minimum of two guests and maximum of six guests)
- Tour is led by a food-specialized guide
- Includes visits to the Central Market Hall and four to five additional venues
- Includes plenty of food and drink tastings
- Our list of hand-picked favorite Budapest eating and drinking spots will be emailed to you after you book the tour!
- BONUS: Get a 10% discount on all of the wines (and other products) at The Tasting Table, where you will end your tour with a wine tasting!